Thursday, November 5, 2015

First Haitian American elected New York civil court judge

French Translation is available...
Dweynie Esther Paul
Attorney Dweynie Esther Paul has created history by becoming the first Haitian American to be elected as a New York State civil court judge.
Paul – who was born in Queens, New York to Haitian parents, ran unopposed for Kings County (Brooklyn) Civil Court Judge, representing the 2nd Municipal District that encompasses the Bedford- Stuyvesant, Clinton Hill, Crown Heights and Ocean Hill neighbourhoods of Brooklyn.


“To whom much is given, much is required!” Paul told the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) on Election Night Tuesday. “I am so very blessed and honored to be in a position to serve the entire Kings County community.


“Today, we have made history together. I share this moment with the Haitian community ‎ and our greater Black Pan-African community. This victory is a result of the coming together of our communities, our talents and our resources.

“It also comes from a strong desire to see a just and equitable judicial system. I hope to live up to the values and aspiration of this community‎, as I carry out my duties. I want to thank all those who supported me, my family, my parents and God,” she added.

Rodneyse Bichotte
Haitian American New York State Assemblywoman Rodneyse Bichotte, who represents the 42nd  Assembly District in Brooklyn, was among local legislators who supported Paul.

“I know Dweynie Paul to be an intelligent, thoughtful and selfless person, and I know she will make decisions with compassion, but based on the law,” said Bichotte, the daughter of Haitian immigrants, who had also created history last November, when she was elected as the first ever Haitian American from New York City to the New York State Assembly.

“I am proud of my Haitian-American sister, whose historic victory is shaking the spirit of our Haitian ancestors,” added Bichott.

Paul was Bichotte’s campaign manager in 2012, when she first ran for a seat in the State Assembly.

No comments: